By Adrienne Goehler
In a game that started to give you an uneasy feeling, the Indians found a way to put together a 3-2 victory in Chicago.
Early on, it was apparent Trevor Bauer was having issues finding the strike zone.
In the 2nd inning, he loaded up the bases for the White Sox with three consecutive walks, struggling to get the ball down.
The Sox took the early lead pushing two across the plate without even recording a hit in the inning.
White Sox lefty Chris Sale was mowing down the Tribe until Mike Aviles led off the 4th with a solo shot. Ryan Raburn came up in the same inning and sent one over the wall to tie the game.
In the top of the 6th inning, Raburn made Sale pay again, taking him yard for the second time in the game to lift the Tribe to 3-2 (his 13th career home run at U.S. Cellular Field). This was the first time since September 15, 2013 that Sale gave up three homeruns in one game. The last time was also against the Indians (Matt Carson, Asdrubal Cabrera, and Nick Swisher).
Bauer ended up settling in after the 4th, going 7 strong innings giving up just 2 runs, 3 hits, and striking out 6.
“He’s always ready to hit a lefty,” Tribe manager Terry Francona said about Raburn’s success against lefties. “I think because [Raburn’s] a good hitter he can hit righties, too, but his job here is to hit lefties.
“When it’s time, he gets in the box, he’s ready to go, and he hits in the middle of the order for us. He acts like a middle of the order hitter, even though he’s not an everyday player for us and he has that presence against left-handers.”
The Indians improved their record to 67-69 and continue to cut away at their deficit in the wild card standings.
RHP Carlos Carrasco (returns from DL) vs. LHP Carlos Rodon
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- HS Football Title Game: Van Wert Rallies To Beat Lake Catholic 31-28, Win Division IV Championship on
- HS Football Playoffs: Archbishop Hoban Topples Avon 28-14, Setting Up A Huge Championship Clash With Massillon on
- Browns Activate RB Chubb for Sunday’s Game Against Texans on
- High School Playoff Football Preview: Chardon Takes On New Philadelphia in Regional Matchup on
- HS Football: Mentor Overcomes The Elements To Earn A 37-19 Win Over Medina In Season Opener on