3) He’s a Defensive Minded Coach
The Browns won’t be the only team looking for a head coach this offseason and those franchises that are will be looking for their own version of Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay. At 32-years-old and in just his second season as a head coach, McVay has become the face of the modern head coach. Now, everyone wants one.
More than ever the NFL is emphasizing offense and those that don’t adjust with it will be left behind. There is value in having an innovative offensive minded coach, willing to embrace analytics and maximize the talent of their offensive players.
That’s even more important when you have a rookie quarterback to consider. What’s best for Baker Mayfield is a coach that can build his offense around him and in turn that’s what’s best for the future of the franchise. (Hence the team’s link to Oklahoma head man Riley)
Gregg Williams is not that guy and even if Dorsey were to pair an excellent offensive coordinator with Williams, that OC will be quickly hired by another team if the offense becomes successful. On the flip side if you have
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Browns Coach Kevin Stefanski Set to Return for Divisional Game in Kansas City on
- Cavs trade Thomas, Frye and first-round pick to Lakers on
- Indians Decline 2018 Team Option on Relief Pitcher Boone Logan on
- Cavaliers Make Signing of Guard Deron Williams Official on
- Indians Reported to be in Talks for Milwaukee C Jonathan Lucroy on