It looks like the Cleveland Indians will have to worry about more than just their play on the field in Toronto.
According to The Canadian Press, a man in Ontario, Canada is looking to take legal action against Chief Wahoo. Douglas Cardinal, who is an officer of the Order of Canada, has taken legal action against the Cleveland Indians’ name, logo, and jerseys which display Chief Wahoo to three courts. These courts include the Human Rights Tribunal Of Ontario, the Canadian Human Rights Commission and the Ontario Superior Court. The claim is that the famous Cleveland logo is “offensive and discriminatory”.
Cardinal is seeking that there be an order against the Indians, the MLB and Rogers Communications. Rogers Communications is the provider of the ALCS and the Blue Jays’ stadium is named after the communications company. Aaron Lazarus, a representative for Rogers Communications has addressed the extreme difficulties of trying to get rid of Chief Wahoo altogether and doesn’t feel it’s fair to stop showing the broadcast in Canada to the fans who want to watch the important series.
Cardinal and his team have spoken and James Fuller, who is a representative for Cardinal, feels that the team has jerseys without any visual representation of Chief Wahoo. Fuller also said that the Tribe should be called “the Cleveland team” for the time being.
A court hearing is scheduled for Monday at the Superior Court, so it will be interesting to see how this situation concludes.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Cavaliers Free Agent Tristian Thompson Heading to Boston; Inks with Celtics for $19 Million for Two Years on
- Cleveland Browns: 15 Greatest Moments In History on
- LeBron James officially signs contract with Lakers on
- HS Football Title Game: Van Wert Rallies To Beat Lake Catholic 31-28, Win Division IV Championship on
- HS Football Playoffs: Archbishop Hoban Topples Avon 28-14, Setting Up A Huge Championship Clash With Massillon on