A LOOK AT WHAT’S HAPPENING
• The Vikings (7-14, 2-6 HL) hit the road for two games this week, playing at Valparaiso on Thursday (Jan. 28) at 8:00 pm ET and at UIC on Saturday (Jan. 30) at 4:00 pm ET.
• CSU split two games last week, earning a 70-53 win over UIC on Monday and falling to Youngstown State, 70-55, on Sunday afternoon at Quicken Loans Arena.
• Freshman Rob Edwards averaged 20.0 points over the two games and continues to lead the team in scoring (12.5 ppg), ranking 14th in the Horizon League.
• Cleveland State (4-13, 1-6 HL) will begin a four-game homestand this week, hosting Northern Kentucky (Thursday, Jan. 28 at 7:00 pm) and Wright State (Saturday, Jan. 30 at 1:00 pm) to close out the first half of Horizon League play.
• Entering the week, Ashanti Abshaw (15.6 ppg) and Khayla Livingston (12.4 ppg) continue to lead the Viking offense, while Abshaw (8.4 rpg) and Olivia Voskuhl (6.2 rpg) have been Cleveland State’s top rebounders this season.
MEN’S & WOMEN’S FENCING
• The fencing squads return to action on Sunday (Jan. 31) at the Notre Dame Duals. The teams have been out of action since competing at the Case Western Duals on Nov. 14. The men’s squad is 13-4 this year.
MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• Cleveland State will continue the 2015-16 season this weekend, traveling to Horizon League foe Oakland for a 1:00 p.m. dual meet on Saturday, January 30.
• CSU has been idle since the middle of January, when they picked up a pair of wins over UIC and Wright State.
• After the UIC and Wright State wins, Philipp Sikatzki was named the Horizon League Swimmer of the Week and Danny Roberts was named the Horizon League Diver of the Week – earning the honors for the third time this season.
WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• After being idle since the middle of January, Cleveland State will return to the pool this weekend, traveling to Oakland for a 1:00 p.m. Horizon League dual meet contest on Saturday, January 30.
• Saturday’s meet against the Golden Grizzlies will be the final matchup against a Horizon League opponent until the Horizon League Championship (February 25-27).
• After beginning the spring season last weekend, the Vikings will close out the month of January at home, hosting IUPUI at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, January 29.
• Last weekend, the Vikings picked up a pair of wins against Duquesne (4-3) and Tiffin (5-2), marking the fourth time under head coach Brian Etzkin that the Vikings have started the season 2-0.
• Joe VanMeter was one of two Vikings to go 2-0 in singles play on the weekend, and now ranks seventh on the CSU all-time wins list with 63 career singles victories.
• Cleveland State (0-2) will continue the spring portion of its schedule this weekend, traveling to West Virginia on Friday, January 29 for its lone contest of the week at 4:00 pm.
• The Vikings opened the spring season last weekend, falling to Toledo (6-1) and Duquesne (4-3).
• Freshman Isabella Spindler, who joined the Vikings for the spring season, went 2-0 in singles play and 1-0 in doubles action, posting perfect marks to begin her collegiate career.
• The Vikings (6-5, 2-2 EWL) continues league action when they compete at Lock Haven on Sunday (Jan. 31) at 1:00 pm.
• CSU split a pair of matches over the weekend, winning at Clarion, 23-12, on Friday and falling at home to Rider, 21-12, on Sunday. John Martin (125 pounds) and Riley Shaw (HWT) both went 2-0 last week.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Joe VanMeter, Men’s Tennis, Senior, Indianapolis, Ind.
VanMeter helped the Vikings to a 2-0 mark to open the spring season over the weekend. He won both of his matches as No. 2 singles and claimed two wins at No. 1 doubles to help CSU to wins over Duquesne and Tiffin. He now ranks seventh on the CSU all-time singles wins list with 63 career wins.
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Tim Hasbargen: The sophomore men’s basketball player grabbed a career-high nine rebounds in 13 minutes in Sunday’s game vs. Youngstown State.
John Martin: The junior wrestler won both of his matches over the weekend, including a 12-3 major decision to help CSU to a win at Clarion on Friday night.
Isabella Spindler: The women’s tennis freshman, who joined the team at the semester break, won both of her matches to open the season this past weekend.
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE
THURSDAY, JANUARY 28
Women’s Basketball hosts Northern KY, 7:00 pm
Men’s Basketball at Valparaiso, 8:00 pm
FRIDAY, JANUARY 29
Men’s Tennis hosts IUPUI, 1:00 pm
Women’s Tennis at West Virginia, 4:00 pm
SATURDAY, JANUARY 30
Women’s Swim/Dive at Oakland, 1:00 pm
Men’s Swim/Dive at Oakland, 1:00 pm
Women’s Basketball hosts Wright State, 1:00 pm
Men’s Basketball at UIC, 4:00 pm
SUNDAY, JANUARY 31
Wrestling at Lock Haven, 1:00 pm
Fencing at Notre Dame Duals, All Day