In a tweet that made many Browns fans cringe today, Adam Schefter of ESPN stated that the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots will be keeping Jimmy Garoppolo for the upcoming 2017 season.
Garoppolo was the apple of many Browns fans eyes as the player they wanted to be their starting quarterback this upcoming season and beyond.
If Schefter is correct in his reporting, the Browns will have to look elsewhere or on their current roster for their signal caller come opening day.
In a move that will have a ripple effect on all QB-needy teams, Patriots are not expected to trade QB Jimmy Garoppolo, per league sources.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 1, 2017
Schefter went on WEEI Radio in Boston today and said the Tom Brady backup is staying put – no matter what the deal may be.
“Jimmy Garoppolo is going to be on the Patriots in 2017 no matter who calls them and what anybody offers,” Schefter said on WEEI.
Patriots beat writer Jeff Howe from the Boston Herald backed up what Schefter said, but seems to still feel that the QB could be on the block if the right offer comes around.
I know the Pats would be happy to keep Garoppolo b/c he's a damn good QB. I believe they'd also be happy if a team met their trade demands.
— Jeff Howe (@jeffphowe) March 1, 2017
It was thought since the end of the season that the Browns were hot on the trails for Garoppolo, but for now if the reports are right they will have to go back to the drawing board.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Browns QB Baker Mayfield Declares He Will Take a Knee During National Anthem on
- Bayless: Mayfield Can’t Win with Beckham; Browns Should Have Dealt Wide Out on
- With the fifth overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Cavs select… Darius Garland on
- LeBron James Disappointed Not Being Able to Play the Cavs Tonight in Cleveland on
- Browns to Bring Back RB Kareem Hunt After Signing His RFA Tender on