Even before NBA free agency kicked off at midnight, Paul George’s mind was made up.
But what does George’s decision have to do with LeBron James’ upcoming one? Well, with all the news that broke regarding James free agency this weekend, specifically that he would not be meeting in person with the Cavs, this feels like the first piece of good news when it comes to the possibility of James staying in Cleveland.
George and James were the two big free agents that the Los Angeles Lakers were allegedly targeting. That doesn’t include Kawhi Leonard, who is not a free agent and would have to be traded to Los Angeles in order to play for them.
It’s arguable that for the Lakers, who have room to sign two max-contract superstars to their roster, losing out on George would hinder their chances at signing James. Of course, there has been nothing to suggest that George not signing in L.A. would take be a deal breaker for James, but without another All-Star in tow, it’s hard to see a clear plus for James going there.
But even still, stranger things in NBA have happened. And until James actually makes a decision, there is no way to know where his mind is.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Cleveland Browns’ Secondary is Key to Success in 2022 on
- NEO Staff Shares their All-Time Greatest Cleveland Baseball Lineups on
- Deshaun Watson Suspended Six Games on
- Deshaun Watson has Decided he will Accept the Opportunity to be the Quarterback for the Cleveland Browns on
- Will Benson Makes His Debut With The Cleveland Guardians on