The Indians are coming off a weekend in which they recorded three consecutive shutouts over the Kansas City Royals at Progressive Field, and now are in complete control of the division over the Twins and Royals.
Major League Baseball is taking notice of an Indians team that has put the inconsistency of the early part of the season behind them, and ESPN in their latest power rankings has the Indians in the four spot.
Here’s what they have to say about the Tribe and their current state:
Week 20 ranking: No. 4
Corey Kluber keeps creeping closer to Chris Sale in the Cy Young conversation, having already passed Boston’s ace in WAR and ERA and trailing in wins by just one and in strikeout rate by half a K per nine. But Kluber trails in innings pitched by a lot, which is no surprise, considering that his trip to the DL puts him at a four-start disadvantage. Kluber’s career second-half ERA drops more than 20 points to 3.10; another strong finishing kick could help him grab a second Cy for his trophy case. — Christina Kahrl, ESPN.com
While the Indians summary is all about Kluber, taking note of the pitching staff as a whole should probably be more appropriate, as this weekend all three starters were excellent in the three shutout wins over the Royals.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Browns QB Baker Mayfield Declares He Will Take a Knee During National Anthem on
- Bayless: Mayfield Can’t Win with Beckham; Browns Should Have Dealt Wide Out on
- With the fifth overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Cavs select… Darius Garland on
- LeBron James Disappointed Not Being Able to Play the Cavs Tonight in Cleveland on
- Browns to Bring Back RB Kareem Hunt After Signing His RFA Tender on