CLEVELAND – The champagne will have to wait at least 24 hours for the Indians, as Friday night the team was unable to put the finishing touches on the AL Central title as they fell to the rival Detroit Tigers 5-4 at Progressive Field.
The night did end on a happy note, as the Minnesota Twins, who are in second in the AL Central, lost in the 9th inning on a walk-off grand slam to the Kansas City Royals 8-4, meaning that the magic number is officially at one.
If the Indians can top the Tigers on Saturday, or the Twins lost Saturday night against the Royals in a game slated to start at 7:15pm, the Tribe for the third straight season will get to hoist the AL Central Champs flag.
Friday was interesting on a number of accounts, and while the bubbly will wait at least one more day, here’s a couple takeaways from the one-run loss to the Tigers.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Browns New Coach Kevin Stefanski Allowing a Fan to Script 15 Plays in a Game for Charity on
- HS Football: St. Ignatius Rolls Past Columbus Bishop Sycamore 33-6 In Season Opener on
- Browns Struggle in all Facets of the Game on
- HS Football Preview Week Three: Euclid Travels to Cleveland Heights to Take on the Tigers on
- Vote for the Week Two 2020 NEOSI High School Football Player of the Week on