By Chad Bryan
The Chardon Hilltoppers will take on the Geneva Eagles Friday night in a Division III Regional quarterfinal game in Chardon. Geneva is 7-1 on the season while Chardon is undefeated at 7-0.
The two teams will see many similarities when they look across the field at each other. Longtime Chardon assistant coach Chip Sorber is now the head man at Geneva and he took the Hilltoppers’ offense with him. Geneva runs a similar version of the Wing-T to Chardon and will look to match Chardon’s success during this contest.
Chardon is the number one team in the state in Division III and is headlined by their defense, which has been tough as nails this season. They will look to continue to get big-time production from Vince Ferrante, Myles Mendeszoon and the rest of their impressive cast.
Offensively, the Hilltoppers are led by running back James Pettyjohn, who has rushed for 865 yards while quarterback Drew Fetchik has passed for 619 yards and 9 touchdowns. Fetchik has also added 420 yards on the ground.
As for Geneva, the Eagles use a variety of different players in the running game but Charlie Taylor leads the way with 942 yards.
The winner of this matchup will move on to play the winner of New Philadelphia and Aurora next weekend.
Kickoff is Friday, October 23rd at 7:00 pm in Chardon.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- HS Football Title Game: Van Wert Rallies To Beat Lake Catholic 31-28, Win Division IV Championship on
- HS Football Playoffs: Archbishop Hoban Topples Avon 28-14, Setting Up A Huge Championship Clash With Massillon on
- Browns Activate RB Chubb for Sunday’s Game Against Texans on
- High School Playoff Football Preview: Chardon Takes On New Philadelphia in Regional Matchup on
- HS Football: Mentor Overcomes The Elements To Earn A 37-19 Win Over Medina In Season Opener on