CLEVELAND – The Indians are set to expand their rosters again, as the team announced they are likely to bring up two players from AAA Columbus tomorrow as they start a weekend series with the Tigers in Detroit.
The two players are lefty pitcher Giovanni Soto and infielder Michael Martinez. The moves would bring the current roster to 30 players.
Soto is a 24-year-old converted starter who has spent the entire year with AAA Columbus, going 2-1 with two saves and a 2.68 ERA. He limited right-handed batters to a .162 (18-111) average against while left-handed Triple-A hitters batted .224 (17-76) off him with 0 home runs allowed.
He was part of the deal that sent shortstop Jhonny Peralta to the Tigers back in 2010.
Martinez is 32, and also has spent all of 2015 in Columbus, where he hit .289 (105-363) with 24 doubles, 5 triples, 5 home runs, 42 RBI and 53 runs scored.
He was a non-roster player in Major League camp this spring after signing on February 13th and appeared in 188 Major League games with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh from 2011-2014.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Your Chance To Ask Hulk Hogan A Question! on
- HS Football: Orrville Holds Off A Late Comeback Attempt To Defeat Fairview 35-30 on
- HS Football: Firelands Takes Home Impressing Homecoming Win Over Oberlin 51-0 on
- Top 25 Most Popular Cleveland Indians Players of All-Time on
- Tribe Sweeps White Sox with 5-4 Come from Behind Win on