A LOOK AT WHAT’S HAPPENING
***Provided by CSU Communications***
- Cleveland State (5-18, 2-8 HL) returns home for two games this week, hosting League-leading Wright State on Thursday (Feb. 1) at 7:00 pm and Northern Kentucky on Saturday (Feb. 3) at 3:00 pm.
- The Vikings dropped a pair of games in Wisconsin over the weekend, falling to Green Bay and Milwaukee.
- Kenny Carpenter scored 15 points with eight rebounds at Milwaukee on Saturday and continues to lead the team in scoring at 12.6 points per game.
- Cleveland State (14-7, 6-4 HL) will hit the road to begin a four game roadswing this week, traveling to Detroit Mercy (Thursday, February 1) and Oakland (Saturday, February 3) for a pair of crucial Horizon League contests.
- The Vikings are coming off back-to-back wins against Wright State (71-70 OT) and Northern Kentucky (72-49) last week, and have just eight games left in the regular season slate.
- Wright State’s 71-70 overtime victory last Thursday marked the 200th career win for head coach Kate Peterson Abiad, as she became just the second active Horizon League coach to achieve the feat at their current school.
- Cleveland State resumes action this weekend by competing in Northwestern’s NU Duals Sunday, Feb. 4.
- Freshman Declan Forth led CSU at the John Szent-Kiraly Open last time out with a fifth-place finish in the saber.
- Cleveland State opens the second year in program history with a home contest against No. 8 Ohio State this Saturday, Feb. 3, at 6:00 pm.
- The Vikings took part in a pair of exhibitions this past Saturday in their first competitions in 2018, as the program hosted Marquette and Wittenberg.
MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
- Cleveland State will be off from competition this weekend and resume action at the Ohio State Winter Invitational Feb. 10-11.
- The Vikings dropped a dual at defending League champion Oakland this past weekend, 194-106.
- Sophomore DJ Arslanian swept the butterfly events for CSU while freshman Matt Akers was the runner-up on both diving boards.
WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
- Cleveland State will close dual action this weekend with a pair of road duals on back-to-back days. The Vikings travel to Youngstown State Friday, Feb. 2 (5:00 pm) and Buffalo on Saturday, Feb. 3 (1:00 pm).
- The Vikings dropped a dual at defending League champion Oakland this past weekend, 179.5-120.5.
- Junior Molly McNamara won three individual events (100 fly, 200 fly, 200 IM) while sophomore Gabriella Marinelli won two (200 free, 500 free).
- The Vikings (3-2) will look to stay perfect at home this season, hosting Northern Illinois and Case Western Reserve in a doubleheader on Saturday, February 3.
- Last weekend Cleveland State rattled off a 3-0 weekend in the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion, posting wins over Duquesne, DePaul and Oberlin.
- Nico Mostardi and Benjamin Slade both went 3-0 in singles play on the weekend, while Mostardi and Matthew Terry posted a team-best 2-0 doubles record.
- Cleveland State (0-2) will hit the road for the first time this spring, traveling to Dayton (Friday, February 2), Indiana (Saturday, February 3) and Butler (Sunday, February 4) for a trio of matches this weekend.
- The Vikings opened their spring slate against Duquesne and Toledo last weekend, with freshman Gaby Schoenberg posting a pair of No. 4 singles wins to lead the way.
WOMEN’S INDOOR TRACK & FIELD
- The Vikings will continue their indoor slate this weekend, taking part in the Akron Invitational on Saturday, February 3.
- This will be the fourth indoor meet for the Vikings this season, and their first of four events during the month of February.
- Cleveland State continues EWL action this weekend with road duals on back-to-back days. The Vikings will face Bloomsburg Friday, Feb. 2 (7:00 pm) and travel to Lock Haven Saturday, Feb. 3 (2:00 pm).
- CSU split a pair of EWL duals this past weekend, as the Vikings handled George Mason at home, 29-18, before falling at Clarion, 20-12, in a match that came down to the final bout.
- Evan Cheek, Nick Corba and Georgio Poullas all went 2-0 for CSU this past weekend. Cheek won via technical fall against the Patriots while Corba and Poullas both notched pins in that dual.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Ashanti Abshaw | Jr. | Women’s Basketball
Abshaw averaged 19.5 points and 4.0 rebounds to lead CSU to a pair of wins last week. She scored 22 points in a win over Wright State, hitting the game-winning 18-footer at the buzzer in overtime. Abshaw then scored 17 points with four rebounds in a win over Northern Kentucky. She had seven assists and three steals in the two wins, while shooting 45-percent from the field.
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Molly McNamara | Jr. | Women’s Swimming
Won three individual events (100 fly, 200 fly, 200 IM) in a dual meet at Oakland.
Nico Mostardi | So. | Men’s Tennis
Posted a perfect 3-0 record at No. 1 singles last weekend and was also 2-0 at No. 2 doubles.
Kate Peterson Abiad | Head Coach | Women’s Basketball
Won her 200th career game at CSU with Thursday’s victory over Wright State.
Georgio Poullas | Fr. | Wrestling
Went 2-0 at 165 pounds over the weekend, winning with a fall (2:47) and an 8-3 decision.
Gaby Schoenberg | Fr. | Women’s Tennis
Was the lone Viking to go 2-0 in singles play over the opening weekend of the spring season, picking up a pair of No. 4 singles wins.
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE
Thursday, Feb. 1
Men’s Basketball hosts Wright State, 7:00 pm
Women’s Basketball at Detroit Mercy, 7:00 pm
Friday, Feb. 2
Women’s Tennis at Dayton, 12:00 pm
Women’s Swimming & Diving at Youngstown State, 5:00 pm
Wrestling at Bloomsburg, 7:00 pm
Saturday, Feb. 3
Men’s Tennis hosts Northern Illinois, 10:00 am
Women’s Track & Field at Akron Invitational, 11:00 am
Women’s Swimming & Diving at Buffalo, 1:00 pm
Wrestling at Lock Haven, 2:00 pm
Men’s Basketball hosts Northern Kentucky, 3:00 pm
Women’s Basketball at Oakland, 3:00 pm
Women’s Tennis at Indiana, 4:00 pm
Men’s Lacrosse hosts Ohio State, 6:00 pm
Men’s Tennis hosts Case Western, 6:00 pm
Sunday, Feb. 4
Women’s Tennis at Butler, 12:00 pm
Fencing at Northwestern Duals, All Day