CHICAGO, IL – Those who called Holly Holm a fluke after her major upset win over Ronda Rousey, may have more ammunition to have done so as she lost again tonight. Holm is now 0-2 since beating Rousey after her upset loss tonight to Valentina Shevchenko by 49-46 Unanimous decision.
Valentina Shevchenko (12-3 MMA, 1-2 UFC) took apart the ex-champ Holly Holm (10-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) to earn a unanimous decision. The upset win highlighted tonights card of UFC action on FOX event at United Center in Chicago.
Shevchenko was knocked down in the opening round by a strong right hand, but then had no problems adjusting her timing and found a right hook counter that repeatedly found its target.
Every time Holly Holm charged forward she would only be intercepted by a punch and a follow-up leg kick. Over the third and fourth rounds Holm would remain stagnant in her approach and this allowed the crafty Shevchenko to repeat her successful formula.
“She’s newer in the UFC, but I knew I had my hands full with this fight,” Holm said afterward. “When they offered it to me, I didn’t want to act like I didn’t want to take it. I knew it was a really big challenge. What can you do? I know it was a competitive fight, and I take nothing away from her. I was taught all the right things. My coaches teach me everything. My performance was not right tonight.”
Shevchenko had this to say after the big win, “It’s very important in my career,” she said. “My strategy was to do everything I know, to put all my heart, all my power, everything that I learned in more than 20 years in martial arts. And I did it today!”
The complete list of UFC on FOX 20 results can seen below.
• Valentina Shevchenko def. Holly Holm via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 49-46)
• Edson Barboza def. Gilbert Melendez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
• Francis Ngannou def. Bojan Mihajlovic via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:34
• Felice Herrig def. Kailin Curran via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:59
• Eddie Wineland def. Frankie Saenz via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 1:54
• Darren Elkins def. Godofredo Pepey via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 30-26)
• Kamaru Usman def. Alexander Yakovlev via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-25)
• Michel Prazeres def. J.C. Cottrell via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
• Alex Oliveira def. James Moontasri via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-25)
• Jason Knight def. Jim Alers via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
• Luis Henrique def. Dmitrii Smoliakov via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:58
You can follow Vince McKee on twitter at VinceTheAuthor