The Indians enter free agency with a number of questions about where they will put their money, and who will get offers following October’s massive letdown against the New York Yankees.
One player whose name has been bantered about since the middle of last season is that of impending free agent Carlos Santana, who to no surprise declined the teams’ qualifying offer last week.
Santana has been with the Indians for the past eight seasons, and while at times he can drive you crazy with his inconsistency at the plate, this last season again he was solid with a .259 average with 23 homers and 79 runs batted in, and also drew 88 walks, striking out 94 times.
There’s already rumblings about teams that have an interest in Santana, including one of the Indians biggest American League rivals, the Boston Red Sox.
If the team doesn’t bring back Santana, the team will have to figure out who is going to help out with first base so the team does not have to play Edwin Encarnacion a lot more than he did in 2017, as he played 23 games at the position.
So here’s a quick glance at five players who could be at first for the Tribe in 2018, both in house and free agents should the team lose Santana to another club this offseason.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- HS Football: Mentor Overcomes The Elements To Earn A 37-19 Win Over Medina In Season Opener on
- Cleveland Cavaliers Still Rebuilding The Team on
- Your Chance To Ask Hulk Hogan A Question! on
- HS Football: Orrville Holds Off A Late Comeback Attempt To Defeat Fairview 35-30 on
- HS Football: Firelands Takes Home Impressing Homecoming Win Over Oberlin 51-0 on