MENTOR, OHIO – The old saying goes “offense wins games, but defense wins championships”.
Mentor may be the best in the state at both, as they trounced Euclid 45-0 on Friday night.
The Cardinals flexed their muscles on both sides early, forcing three turnovers in the opening quarter.
Junior quarterback Ian Kipp took advantage of this stellar defensive effort, throwing a pair of touchdowns to Luke Floriea and Brian Trobel to take a 17-0 lead into the second quarter.
Kipp would score on a 16-yard option carry, as the Cardinals led 24-0 at halftime.
Euclid’s defense would continue to struggle, allowing a pair of touchdown carries by Trobel, who finished with three total scores on the day.
Backup quarterback Charlie Hawley tied a ribbon around senior night with a touchdown carry, giving us our final score of 45-0.
With the victory, the Cardinals clinched the Greater Cleveland Conference title for the third consecutive season.
Mentor (9-0) will look to finish off a perfect regular season as they visit Strongsville (5-4).
Euclid (7-2) returns home next week to host Shaker Heights (2-6).
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Browns QB Baker Mayfield Declares He Will Take a Knee During National Anthem on
- Bayless: Mayfield Can’t Win with Beckham; Browns Should Have Dealt Wide Out on
- With the fifth overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Cavs select… Darius Garland on
- LeBron James Disappointed Not Being Able to Play the Cavs Tonight in Cleveland on
- Browns to Bring Back RB Kareem Hunt After Signing His RFA Tender on