CLEVELAND– The Indians lost a tough extra innings game to the Rockies on Wednesday afternoon.
The 3-2 loss came despite another quality seven-inning outing from Trevor Bauer (10-8, 4.79 ERA), who gave up just one run and struck out nine.
The Rockies stormed back in the ninth inning to get a run off of closer Cody Allen, tying the game. Zach McAllister picked up the loss after giving up a home run to Charlie Blackmon in the top of the 12th inning.
Following the game, Bauer was asked what he thinks of the bullpen being put under a microscope after losses like Wednesday’s.
“Everyone here feels confident handing the ball to them,” Bauer said.
“In a game like today, the bullpen had to pitch what, the eighth, ninth, what’d they pitch five, six innings? They gave up two runs. So if a starter goes six innings and gives up two runs, it’s a good start. But, because the bullpen went six innings and gave up two runs, now they get put under the microscope because it happened late in the game and the game ends.
“I think the bullpen pitched really well. Blackmon hit a homer, he’s hit a lot of them this year. I don’t know, a ball sneaks away from [Bradley Zimmer] out in the outfield and a guy happens to score. Just little things that, not anyone’s fault per se, you know? … I think it’s extremely unfair to blame one person for anything. It’s a team game.”
The loss was McAllister’s second this season. The Tribe is back in action tomorrow night against the Tampa Bay Rays.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- HS Football Title Game: Van Wert Rallies To Beat Lake Catholic 31-28, Win Division IV Championship on
- HS Football Playoffs: Archbishop Hoban Topples Avon 28-14, Setting Up A Huge Championship Clash With Massillon on
- Browns Activate RB Chubb for Sunday’s Game Against Texans on
- High School Playoff Football Preview: Chardon Takes On New Philadelphia in Regional Matchup on
- HS Football: Mentor Overcomes The Elements To Earn A 37-19 Win Over Medina In Season Opener on