CLEVELAND, Ohio — The 2019 Cleveland Browns are set to kick off the 2019-2020 season tomorrow when training camp opens. All players have reported to camp, including running back Duke Johnson Jr.
Johnson, 25, requested a trade from the Browns earlier this off-season. The request stems from the Browns signing former Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt and the lack of touches Duke has received in past couple of years. Blame the coaching. Blame the scheme. Blame the play-calling. Blame whatever you want. Even after Browns have had talks with Duke over the situation, he still wants out of Cleveland.
The Browns met with Duke Johnson’s agent Drew Rosenhaus yesterday. It is unclear what the fallout will be from the meeting as of now. While John Dorsey is going to address the media later today. Do not expect to get much out of him about Duke Johnson. John Dorsey has made one thing clear. He’s going to either wait for the right offer or hold onto Duke.
There is still a good chance the Browns will get a decent haul back for Johnson. The question is, when? It could come before week one or before the trade deadline later in the season. If John Dorsey opts to hold onto the disgruntled running back, he would have a backfield made up of Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, Duke Johnson. That trio would make up arguably the best running back group in the NFL, even though the Browns won’t have Kareem Hunt for the first eight games due to suspension.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Browns New Coach Kevin Stefanski Allowing a Fan to Script 15 Plays in a Game for Charity on
- HS Football: St. Ignatius Rolls Past Columbus Bishop Sycamore 33-6 In Season Opener on
- Browns Struggle in all Facets of the Game on
- HS Football Preview Week Three: Euclid Travels to Cleveland Heights to Take on the Tigers on
- Vote for the Week Two 2020 NEOSI High School Football Player of the Week on