A LOOK AT WHAT’S HAPPENING
• Cleveland State (5-9, 0-1 HL) is in action three times this week, starting with a 7:30 pm contest at Detroit on Monday (Jan. 4).
• The Vikings will also host Green Bay at 7:30 pm on Thursday (Jan. 7) and Milwaukee on Saturday (Jan. 9) at 3:00 pm.
• CSU split a pair of games last week, earning a 77-37 win over Cedarville in the final non-conference game of the season and falling in the League opener at Oakland, 86-68, on Saturday.
• Rob Edwards set career-highs in points (21) and rebounds (9) vs. Cedarville, while Kenny Carpenter dished out a career-high nine assists.
• Cleveland State continues Horizon League play this week, traveling to Detroit for a 5:00 p.m. contest on Monday (Jan. 4) and hosting Green Bay (Thursday, Jan. 7) and Milwaukee (Saturday, Jan. 9) this weekend.
• The Vikings opened League play at Oakland on Saturday, falling to the Golden Grizzlies, 79-69. For the season, CSU is 3-8 overall and 0-1 in league action.
• Ashanti Abshaw is leading the Vikings with 16.4 points per game and 8.5 rebounds per game, while Brooke Smith is averaging a team-high 3.0 assists and 3.8 steals per contest.
MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• The Vikings (4-2) are back in action when CSU competes in its annual Holiday Invitational on Jan. 9 before hosting UIC (Jan. 15) and Wright State (Jan. 16) in Horizon League duals.
• CSU closed out the 2015 calendar year with a 145.5-96.5 win at Canisius on Friday.
• MacJilton Lewis was the only 1,000 Free competitor to boast a time under 10:00, finishing in first-place with a 9:59.60.
• Philipp Sikatzki won the 200 Fly (1:52.52), beating the runner-up by more than five seconds.
WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING
• The Vikings (3-6) return to action at its annual Holiday Invitational on Jan. 9 before hosting UIC (Jan. 15) and Wright State (Jan. 16) in Horizon League duals.
• CSU finished the 2015 portion of their schedule with a 153-90 win at Canisius on Friday.
• Claudia Zido (10:45.43), Bethany Robertson (10:51.23) and Jodi Turk (10:58.45) finished first, second and third respectively in the 1,000 freestyle.
• Molly McNamara continued her strong season, winning the 200 IM with a time of 2:12.69.
• CSU (4-4, 0-1 EWL) will be out of action until Jan. 16 when the Vikings host George Mason for an EWL dual at 12:00 pm in Woodling Gym.
• The Vikings opened the 2016 calendar year by taking part in the Southern Scuffle in Chattanooga, Tenn., on Jan. 1-2.
• Riley Shaw placed at the event for the second straight year, finishing sixth overall, while John Martin, Alfredo Gray, Mike Carlone, Gabe Stark, Nick Corba and Sam Wheeler all advanced to the second day of competition.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Riley Shaw, Wrestling, Senior, Washington, Ohio
Shaw placed for the second straight year at the prestigious Southern Scuffle, finishing sixth at the event. He opened with three straight wins to advance to the semifinals before finishing sixth overall. Shaw entered the Scuffle ranked 12th in the nation at heavyweight.
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
Kenny Carpenter: The men’s basketball sophomore came off the bench to score 13 points in both games last week and had a career-high nine assists vs. Cedarville.
Alexis Eckles: The women’s basketball junior had eight rebounds and two steals in her first action of the season on Saturday, returning from a preseason knee injury.
Sam Wheeler: The senior wrestler won a pair of matches at the Southern Scuffle, including a 9-3 decision over the #17 ranked wrestler at 197 pounds.
MONDAY, JANUARY 4
Women’s Basketball at Detroit, 5:00 pm
Men’s Basketball at Detroit, 7:30 pm
THURSDAY, JANUARY 7
Women’s Basketball hosts Green Bay, 5:30 pm
Men’s Basketball hosts Green Bay, 7:30 pm
SATURDAY, JANUARY 9
Women’s Basketball hosts Milwaukee, 1:00 pm
Men’s Basketball hosts Milwaukee, 3:00 pm
Men’s Swim/Diving at Holiday Invite, TBA
Women’s Swim/Dive at Holiday Invite, TBA
THURSDAY, JANUARY 14
Men’s Basketball at Wright State, 7:00 pm
FRIDAY, JANUARY 15
Men’s Swim/Dive hosts UIC, 5:30 pm
Women’s Swim/Dive hosts UIC, 5:30 pm