Indians fans remain ticked today after Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy told the team ‘nah’ when it came to making a deal to bring him to Cleveland.
The Indians and Milwaukee had a deal in place late last night that would have brought him to Cleveland, a deal that included minor league catcher Francisco Mejia, and double-A outfielder Greg Allen.
Word was Lucroy didn’t want to come into a situation where he would be playing behind Yan Gomes next season, playing not only backup catcher but also first base and DH.
Milwaukee hasn’t stopped trying to move the former All-Star, as Ken Rosenthal says now via Twitter that the Texas Rangers, a team the Indians could very well see in the postseason, are back in the mix to acquire him.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 31, 2016
It would be a knife in the back if Lucroy agreed to get dealt to the Rangers, after he dissed the Indians earlier on Sunday. As for the Indians and their on-going efforts, no new rumors to report about the direction the team is looking as the deadline gets closer.
UPDATE 3:34pm: Lucroy and the Rangers are very close to getting a deal done according to Jon Heyman.
rangers are working on lucroy. havent heard it's close, but very opportunistic if they land him.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) July 31, 2016
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Browns QB Baker Mayfield Declares He Will Take a Knee During National Anthem on
- Bayless: Mayfield Can’t Win with Beckham; Browns Should Have Dealt Wide Out on
- With the fifth overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Cavs select… Darius Garland on
- LeBron James Disappointed Not Being Able to Play the Cavs Tonight in Cleveland on
- Browns to Bring Back RB Kareem Hunt After Signing His RFA Tender on