Speaking for the first time since the start of training camp, controversial Browns running back Kareem Hunt opened up about the June incident that saw him on camera talking with Cleveland police outside of a downtown bar.
Rumors suggested that Hunt had been involved in a fight prior to the when the video began, but despite the way it looked on camera, Hunt was appreciative that the Browns gave him a chance to explain himself, but admitted that it served as a wake-up call.
“It was a misunderstanding,” Hunt pleaded. “I appreciate that the Browns still had my back. It was just something that was a misunderstanding and I know I can’t have that so I look to move forward and continue bettering myself and working and getting ready for this season.”
Hunt’s first comments on the incident come after Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam openly stated that the running back still has work to do to remain a part of the team. A thoughtful Hunt didn’t disagree with their remarks.
“I’m definitely always gonna have work to day,” Hunt said. “Since I stepped in the building I had work to do. I’m just gonna keep staying in my lane and do whatever it takes to take my game to the next level and stay out of trouble.
“I’m gonna learn from everything and not make the same mistake again.”
Staying out of trouble was the message head coach Freddie Kitchens and general manager John Dorsey shared with Hunt earlier this summer. More specifically, Hunt said they told him to be smarter.
The NFL’s leading rusher in 2017 was just activated off the non-football injury list on Sunday after nursing a groin injury through the first two weeks of practice. While he hasn’t been able to practice with the team, Hunt has kept his nose in the playbook and film room on top of working out so far.
With an eight game suspension looming on Aug. 31, the soon to be 24-year-old has to make the most of what remains of training camp and the preseason to prove himself. The Browns petitioned the NFL earlier in the offseason to allow Hunt to at least be at the team facility during his suspension but have yet to receive a response. Hunt is hopeful it will get approved.
“It would most definitely help [to be here],” he said. “I’ll have time to stay around the guys and stay in the weight room and the playbook.”
Hunt shared that he continues to meet with a counselor on a regular basis and that he’s in a good place right now. Should the league balk at the Browns request, he’s confident that there is a good plan in place to keep him out of trouble and focused on football regardless.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Knights Balanced Attack Too Much for Massillon, Hoban Wins 41-20 on
- What To Expect From BetMGM Ohio When It Launches on
- Jacoby Brissett, More than “Just a Backup” on
- Munch gives his Thoughts and History of “THE GAME” Ohio State vs Michigan on
- Cleveland Guardians Clinch the American League Central on