The Tribe today announced a deal with the Brewers, adding some depth to the catcher position.
The team acquired 18-year-old catcher Andres Melendez for infielder Mark Mathias.
Melendez owns a two-year professional batting average of .267 (74-for-277) and .352 on-base percentage, spending the 2019 season in the Arizona Rookie League with Milwaukee’s AZL Brewers Gold squad.
The Barquisimeto, Venezuela native batted .250 (32-for-128) with 8 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR and 13 RBI in 36 AZL contests this summer.
The 25-year-old Mathias played in AAA Columbus last season, appearing in 115 games, hitting .269 with 12 homers and 69 runs batted in.
He was drafted by the Indians in the third round of the 2015 MLB June Amateur Draft.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Browns QB Baker Mayfield Declares He Will Take a Knee During National Anthem on
- Bayless: Mayfield Can’t Win with Beckham; Browns Should Have Dealt Wide Out on
- With the fifth overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Cavs select… Darius Garland on
- LeBron James Disappointed Not Being Able to Play the Cavs Tonight in Cleveland on
- Browns to Bring Back RB Kareem Hunt After Signing His RFA Tender on