One man’s trash is another man’s treasure -the motto of the New England Patriots.
The Cleveland Browns drafted defensive end John Hughes in the third-round of the 2012 NFL draft out of the University of Cincinnati.
Hughes, 27, never really lived up to starting material, but rather was a very versatile defensive lineman who added the necessary depth. In 2015, Hughes recorded 1.5 sacks. In his entire NFL career, he has 5.5 total sacks.
The New England Patriots picked up Hughes after the Browns dumped him the other day.
He seems quite excited about joining the Patriots. Upon signing with the Patriots, Hughes released a very nice statement.
As I begin the next chapter of my career, I wanted to thank the fans of the Cleveland Browns as well as the Browns organization. From my draft experience, to meeting new friends out in the community, to starting my family, I have had many great experiences in Cleveland. Cleveland always in my heart but on to helping the Patriots win their next Super Bowl!
This is the season Browns player that has been picked up by the Patriots this season. Former first-round linebacker Barkevious Mingo was traded last month and has looked quite stellar in his first games as a Patriot.
Remember defensive end Jabaal Sheard? Well he is a dominant force on defense and has been quite successful in his two seasons in New England. Last week against the Texans he registered two sacks. This really could never have occurred in Cleveland.
It will be very interesting to see if Hughes earns anymore sacks and how active he will be. He definitely brings more depth to a struggling defensive line that has been plagued with injuries.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- HS Football Title Game: Van Wert Rallies To Beat Lake Catholic 31-28, Win Division IV Championship on
- HS Football Playoffs: Archbishop Hoban Topples Avon 28-14, Setting Up A Huge Championship Clash With Massillon on
- Browns Activate RB Chubb for Sunday’s Game Against Texans on
- High School Playoff Football Preview: Chardon Takes On New Philadelphia in Regional Matchup on
- HS Football: Mentor Overcomes The Elements To Earn A 37-19 Win Over Medina In Season Opener on