The BattleFrog Fiesta Bowl will be just the sixth time that Ohio State and Notre Dame have met in their long, storied histories.
In the previous five matchups, Ohio State won three.
The first time the two teams met was 1935, when Notre Dame won 18-13. The Fighting Irish would defeat the Buckeyes the following year, in 1936, by a final score of 7-2.
The last three contests have gone to the Buckeyes. Ohio State came away victorious in 1995, 1996, and 2005.
Ohio State has won eight national championships, while Notre Dame has won 13, which is the second-most in FBS history, trailing Alabama by one.
The Ohio State Buckeyes’ football team played their first game in school history on May 3, 1890.
The Notre Dame Fighting Irish have been taking the field since 1887.
Hard to believe these two historic programs have only met five times prior to today. Let’s see if the Buckeyes can stay ahead in the rivalry, starting at 1 PM today on ESPN.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Deshaun Watson Suspended Six Games on
- Deshaun Watson has Decided he will Accept the Opportunity to be the Quarterback for the Cleveland Browns on
- Will Benson Makes His Debut With The Cleveland Guardians on
- College Sports Betting: How Massachusetts Legalization Compares To Ohio on
- Is Ohio Sports Betting Legal? on