CLEVELAND, Ohio — Monday was a busy day at Ohio State. First, new head coach Ryan Day was busy rounding up his defensive staff. Then came the news that starting quarterback Dwayne Haskins had decided to declare for the 2019 NFL Draft.
Ryan Day confirmed to the media that defensive coordinator Greg Schiano will be leaving the program to pursue NFL opportunities. With that, the Buckeyes hired Greg Mattison as co-defensive coordinator, something that if you would have checked online sports betting would you likely would have not been shocked by.
Mattison was previously at the University of Michigan as defensive coordinator (2011-2013), linebackers coach (2014), defensive lines coach (2015-2018). He is currently 69 years old.
Mattison won’t be the only defensive coordinator for the Buckeyes. Jeff Hafley will also be co-defensive coordinator for Ohio State. He will also be defensive backs coach as well. Hafley was most recently with the San Francisco 49ers as defensive backs coach. He is currently 39 years old.
Schiano isn’t the only one leaving Ohio State though as linebackers coach Bill Davis will not return to the program either. Some media outlets in the Columbus area have speculated that cornerbacks coach Taver Johnson may not return the program either.
Meanwhile, on the other side of the ball, starting quarterback Dwayne Haskins will not be coming back to Ohio State next season as he declared for the 2019 NFL Draft. Ohio State will now have a huge quarterback competition between transfer Justin Fields and last seasons back-up quarterback Tate Martell.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- HS Football Title Game: Van Wert Rallies To Beat Lake Catholic 31-28, Win Division IV Championship on
- HS Football Playoffs: Archbishop Hoban Topples Avon 28-14, Setting Up A Huge Championship Clash With Massillon on
- Browns Activate RB Chubb for Sunday’s Game Against Texans on
- High School Playoff Football Preview: Chardon Takes On New Philadelphia in Regional Matchup on
- HS Football: Mentor Overcomes The Elements To Earn A 37-19 Win Over Medina In Season Opener on