2. Back to basics on defense
This might as well be a key for every game, until the Cavs actually start doing it consistently. Last night, the Pelicans made just 13 threes. On paper it looks better than the 17 the Cavs gave up in each of the previous three games. That doesn’t remain the case when you remember that the Pelicans have the luxury of playing inside-out, given Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins in the middle. Against the Cavs, they were perfectly content to stay inside.
The Cavs currently rank 26th in the league in defensive rating, with a pretty abysmal 109.3. They also rank 23rd in defensive field goal percentage, allowing opponents to shoot 46.0 percent from the field. Opponents are also shooting just over 39 percent from deep against them.
Yes, it’s early and yes, there are still plenty of games to go. But. against teams that they should be beating handily, the Cavs are collapsing. Sunday offers yet another chance for improvement.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Kyrie Irving’s Impact with the Cleveland Cavaliers on
- Cleveland Cavaliers Exceeded Expectations this Season, What’s Needed in the Offseason on
- Is There Really An Appetite For The NFL In The UK? on
- Cleveland SC Hires New Coach Vlad Muresan on
- 2022 May Be Make Or Break For Browns Head Coach Kevin Stefanksi on