Thursday the Indians improved to 7-6 on the spring, as they won their third straight game with a 4-3 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks at Salt River Fields.
The Diamondbacks outhit the Indians 9-5, but Tribe batters managed to draw free passes off the Diamondbacks pitching staff.
Three of the four Indians hitters who came around to score, reached base via a walk.
Arizona took an early 2-run lead in the bottom of the first on a two-run homer by second basemen Wilmer Flores off Tribe starter Trevor Bauer.
The Tribe tied the game in the top of the third inning on a two-run single by right fielder Trayce Thompson, who went 1-for-3 with a pair of runs batted in.
The Diamondbacks retook the lead with a run in the fifth before the Indians plated two in the seventh, tying the game when Ernie Clement (0-for-1, BB, R) came across to score on a wild pitch and taking the lead on an RBI-single by outfielder Daniel Johnson.
Bauer gave up two run on five hits in 4.0 innings of work (ND, HR, 2SO). In three Cactus League starts, the right-hander has gone 0-1 with a 2.45 ERA (11.0IP, 3R/ER, HR, BB, 6SO).
Five Tribe relievers held the Diamondbacks to one additional run as Justin Grimm, Nick Wittgren, Asher Wojciehowski and Henry Martinez all tossed a scoreless frame.
Martinez got the save, with Grimm getting the victory.
The Indians return home to Goodyear Ballpark on Friday to take on the San Francisco Giants under the lights 8:05PM.
Righty Jefry Rodriguez will make his first start of the spring against former Indian lefty Drew Pomeranz for the Giants. The game can be heard via MLB.com audio webcast.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- HS Football Title Game: Van Wert Rallies To Beat Lake Catholic 31-28, Win Division IV Championship on
- HS Football Playoffs: Archbishop Hoban Topples Avon 28-14, Setting Up A Huge Championship Clash With Massillon on
- Browns Activate RB Chubb for Sunday’s Game Against Texans on
- High School Playoff Football Preview: Chardon Takes On New Philadelphia in Regional Matchup on
- HS Football: Mentor Overcomes The Elements To Earn A 37-19 Win Over Medina In Season Opener on