GARFIELD HEIGHTS, OHIO– Five-star recruit Alonzo Gaffney committed to The Ohio State University on Tuesday morning. The Garfield Heights forward announced his decision on Twitter.
There’s no place like Home…♥️ pic.twitter.com/ONFxzho0ZI
— ? (@alonzo_gaffney) April 10, 2018
Gaffney is the No. 1 recruit in the state and the No. 18 player in the country, per 247Sports.com. When Chris Holtmann took over at OSU last year, they made Gaffney their biggest priority in the 2019 class, per ESPN.
For the Bulldogs this past season, Gaffney averaged 18.2 points, 9.0 rebounds and 4.0 blocks. He was named to the All-Ohio first team as well. Garfield Heights ended the year with an 18-6 record and lost to Shaker Heights in the district finals.
Per ESPN, Gaffney was also being recruited by North Carolina, Michigan State, Georgetown and others. Gaffney’s committing to the Buckeyes makes them just one of four schools with a five-star pledge in the junior class. Kentucky has two while both Duke and Maryland have one.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Browns QB Baker Mayfield Declares He Will Take a Knee During National Anthem on
- Bayless: Mayfield Can’t Win with Beckham; Browns Should Have Dealt Wide Out on
- With the fifth overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Cavs select… Darius Garland on
- LeBron James Disappointed Not Being Able to Play the Cavs Tonight in Cleveland on
- Browns to Bring Back RB Kareem Hunt After Signing His RFA Tender on