CLEVELAND – The Browns made a couple early roster moves Labor Day Monday, the biggest of which was the team coming to terms with former Rams QB Austin Davis.
Davis could quick become the backup for Josh McCown if Johnny Manziel is still unable to go Sunday vs the Jets with his elbow issues.
Over the weekend the Browns cut Thad Lewis, leaving the team with only two quarterbacks on the roster. Connor Shaw is on injured reserve.
Davis made his NFL debut last year appearing in 10 games (eight starts) with the Rams. He completed 180 of 284 passes (63.4 percent) for 2,001 yards with 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He set USM single-season and career records for passing yards, touchdowns and completion percentage.
In addition to the Davis pickup, the team also signed OL Garth Gerhart and DL Dylan Wynn to the practice squad. In addition, the club placed DB Charles Gaines(hamstring) on injured reserve – designated for return.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- HS Football Title Game: Van Wert Rallies To Beat Lake Catholic 31-28, Win Division IV Championship on
- HS Football Playoffs: Archbishop Hoban Topples Avon 28-14, Setting Up A Huge Championship Clash With Massillon on
- Browns Activate RB Chubb for Sunday’s Game Against Texans on
- High School Playoff Football Preview: Chardon Takes On New Philadelphia in Regional Matchup on
- HS Football: Mentor Overcomes The Elements To Earn A 37-19 Win Over Medina In Season Opener on