Browns franchise quarterback Baker Mayfied was (in his opinion) pushed a little too far Wednesday by long time Browns reporter Tony Grossi, resulting in the quarterback walking out his weekly Q&A with the media.
The video of the exchange between Mayfield and Grossi can be seen below. The question had to do with the Browns last drive of the half and the sense of urgency the team showed.
The Baker Mayfield meltdown is officially under way in Cleveland. pic.twitter.com/hZ6Kbg1Cwm
— Clay Travis (@ClayTravis) October 30, 2019
If you couldn’t make out what Grossi was asking or what Baker said, here’s the transcript:
“Stop saying but,” Mayfield told Grossi. “I just told you the clock was running and we had a penalty. You want to give them the ball back? No. You don’t play, you don’t know. That’s just plain and simple.”
Grossi asked, “Were you happy with that drive?”
“Was I happy with the drive? No, we didn’t score points,” Mayfield said. “That’s the dumbest question you could ask. What? Jesus, Tony.”
It didn’t take Mayfield long to address the exchange on twitter on his personal account:
say that I’ve gotten complacent. My sense of urgency is at an all time high. And if I offend anybody along the way… that’s too bad
— Baker Mayfield (@bakermayfield) October 30, 2019
Mayfield has had issues with Grossi for some time, so this type of exchange isn’t all that surprising, but of course for a 2-5 football team with issues all over the place, it’s certainly not a good look.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- HS Football Title Game: Van Wert Rallies To Beat Lake Catholic 31-28, Win Division IV Championship on
- HS Football Playoffs: Archbishop Hoban Topples Avon 28-14, Setting Up A Huge Championship Clash With Massillon on
- Browns Activate RB Chubb for Sunday’s Game Against Texans on
- High School Playoff Football Preview: Chardon Takes On New Philadelphia in Regional Matchup on
- HS Football: Mentor Overcomes The Elements To Earn A 37-19 Win Over Medina In Season Opener on