The Buckeyes were expected to trounce Western Michigan, and for a while it looked like they would. However, a few snags on offense and a couple of long time-consuming drives by the Broncos led to a 38-12 final score in Columbus.
“Defensively, I don’t think we played our typical silver-bullet self,” said Head Coach Urban Meyer. “The interior run was an issue. But overall, much better performances as we get ready to [play a team that’s 4-0 and start the Big Ten season.”
Ohio State travels to Indiana next Saturday to begin conference play.
Cardale Jones accounted for 288 yards and two touchdowns through the air, but under threw a few deep receivers that could have blown the score open wider. Ezekiel Elliott topped the century mark for the 9th straight game, as he pounded out 124 yards and a touchdown. He also hurdled defenders on two separate plays.
Elliott now has 455 yards on the season, an average of 114 per game.
Ohio State finishes the non-conference slate at 4-0, without only one impressive win (Virginia Tech).
- The win is Ohio State’s 17th straight, the longest active streak in the NCAA>
- The Buckeyes are 70-12-1 all-time as the nation’s #1 team, and 53-4 as a #1 team vs unranked opponents.
- Urban Meyer is now 146-26 in his career, and 42-3 as a Buckeye.
- Ohio State has a rushing TD in 43 of Urban Meyer’s 45 games as head coach.
- The 288 yards for Jones was his career high.