Connect with us

High School

St. Ignatius Stuns Toledo St. Francis de Sales 5-1 in Semi-Final; Advances to State Championship

The St. Ignatius Wildcats faced off with the Toledo St. Francis de Sales Knights in the State Semi-Final on Thursday night at Nationwide Arena in Columbus.

The Wildcats stunned St. Francis, coming out of the gate in attack mode and never letting up, defeating the Knights 5-1 in a game that was never in question.

St. Francis came into play ranked #1 in the state, but Ignatius was #2. The Knights were 36-1 coming into the Semi-Final game. The Wildcats were 36-2-1. The last time Ignatius lost a game was the only time these two teams met in the regular season. The Knights won 5-1 back on December 20th. Since then, Ignatius went on a 24-game win-streak.

St. Francis outscored opponents 45-2 in their three playoff games leading up to Thursday’s Semi-Final match with the Wildcats. No one told St. Ignatius that.


After a scoreless six minutes and 59 seconds, Ignatius jumped out to a 1-0 lead, thanks to a power play goal from Senior Captain Aidan Spellacy.

31 seconds later, the Wildcats scored again on an even-strength goal from Seth Whitney to stun the Knights and make it 2-0 with 7:30 left in the first period.

blue 3

As if the 2-0 lead wasn’t shocking enough, Zack Kisel made it 3-0 Wildcats with 1:20 left, silencing the St. Francis de Sales student section.

blue 2

The Knights would head back to the dressing room for the intermission is disbelief, looking to regroup down 3-0 to Ignatius after one period.

The Wildcats kept it up in the second period, as Whitney scored his second goal of the game 3:03 into the frame to make it 4-0 St. Ignatius.

The Wildcat student section was loving every second of it.


Whitney’s goal would be the only of the frame and Ignatius would take a 4-0 lead into the final period.

Here’s what all four goals in the first two periods looked like:

The Knights would have a lot of work to do if they were going to mount a third period comeback.


Cullen Frebes added on to the lead with just over 12 minutes left to remove all doubt and make it 5-0 Wildcats.

St. Francis de Sales finally got on the board after being held scoreless for 38 minutes, as Warren Natyshak scored on the power play to make it a 5-1 game.

St Francis 7

That would be the only goal allowed by Ignatius netminder Dylan McKeon, who was fantastic all night in the 33-save performance, and the Wildcats would win 5-1.

With the win, the Wildcats advance to the OHSAA State Championship Game Saturday afternoon to take on the University School Preppers, as it will be a Westside vs. Far Eastside matchup between two rivals from the Great Lakes Hockey League.

The puck drops at 2 PM. I’ll be covering the game live, so be sure to follow @NEOSportsInside on Twitter for updates.

Matt Medley is co-editor at NEO Sports Insiders, covers the Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Indians and high school sports in Northeast Ohio. Follow @MedleyHoops on Twitter for live updates from games.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *





Show Your Team Spirit

NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter

Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.

Recent Comments


More in High School