A report from FootballScoop.com states that Ohio State co-defensive coordinator/safeties coach Chris Ash is a “strong candidate” to fill Syracuse’s head coaching vacancy.
The 41-year-old has been around, spending most of his coaching career with Iowa State (2002-06, 2009) working with defensive backs. He attended Drake University from 1992 to 1996, playing in the secondary.
The interesting thing is Syracuse athletic director Mark Coyle is a Drake alum and also played football for the Bulldogs.
The Buckeyes coach has had assistant coaching positions with the Drake, Princeton, Iowa State, and San Diego State, before being hired by the Wisconsin Badgers in 2010.
He joined the Buckeyes in January of 2014.
Ash isn’t the only name on the list, as Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost has been the most widely mentioned candidate since coach Scott Shafer was fired last Monday.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Browns Coach Kevin Stefanski Set to Return for Divisional Game in Kansas City on
- Cavs trade Thomas, Frye and first-round pick to Lakers on
- Indians Decline 2018 Team Option on Relief Pitcher Boone Logan on
- Cavaliers Make Signing of Guard Deron Williams Official on
- Indians Reported to be in Talks for Milwaukee C Jonathan Lucroy on