The sports world came to a hault when the news broke late on Friday, June 3 that Muhammad Ali has passed away.
Ali had a connection to Cleveland throughout his life, as the boxer was great friends with legendary running back Jim Brown, and participated in some important battles, both in the ring, and in the field of social justice right here in Northeast Ohio.
Cleveland athletes from every sport have been paying their respects to the champ.
Here is what some of them had to say.
He was the greatest of all time not just because of his boxing. He stood up for what he believed in. You will be missed. Rest in peace champ
— Stipe Miocic (@stipemiocicufc) June 4, 2016
"The world has lost a great Champion. Muhammad Ali, lover of human beings, a warrior for the fight against discrimination…a great friend."
— Jim Brown (@JimBrownNFL32) June 4, 2016
— Robert Griffin III (@RGIII) June 4, 2016
The full depth of your inspiration and impact can never be measured.
Thank you Champ! pic.twitter.com/il4EHUeePT
— Cleveland Cavaliers (@cavs) June 4, 2016
— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) June 4, 2016
"We lost a legend, a hero and a great man!!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/P8vX2MkSHR
— Carlos Carrasco (@Cookie_Carrasco) June 4, 2016
Rest in Peace, Muhammad Ali.
NEO Sports Insiders Newsletter
Sign up to receive our NEOSI newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland sports news.
- Browns New Coach Kevin Stefanski Allowing a Fan to Script 15 Plays in a Game for Charity on
- HS Football: St. Ignatius Rolls Past Columbus Bishop Sycamore 33-6 In Season Opener on
- Browns Struggle in all Facets of the Game on
- HS Football Preview Week Three: Euclid Travels to Cleveland Heights to Take on the Tigers on
- Vote for the Week Two 2020 NEOSI High School Football Player of the Week on